When an accident happens on holiday, particularly abroad, it can be a stressful matter to deal with.
At Browne and Murphy Solicitors we look to take the stress out of what can often be a traumatic experience guiding you through the claims process and ensuring you receive the best advice and assistance. If you have suffered an injury or illness whilst on holiday you may be entitled to compensation.
Package Holiday Accidents*
If you have suffered an injury or illness whilst on a package holiday it may be possible to pursue a claim for compensation in Ireland against the tour operator even if the accident happened abroad. This is as a result of the Package Holidays and Travel Trade Act, 1995 which places obligations under contract on package holiday organisers, irrespective of whether a service is negligently performed by a third party abroad such as a resort or hotel for instance.
A package holiday is essentially one which includes transport and accommodation. It should be noted that making an injury claim arising from an incident whilst on holiday is far from straightforward and expert legal advice should always be sought.
Common package holiday accidents include:
- Slips, trips and falls on apartment or hotel premises
- Road traffic and other transport accidents
- Swimming pool and other amenity accidents
- Incidents of food poisoning
What to Do
If you have had an accident whilst on holiday or when travelling abroad it is important to:
- Report the accident as soon as possible to the hotel or resort manager and your tour operator representative and make sure the accident is noted and recorded.
- If injured, seek medical attention as soon possible locally and on your return home attend your G.P. for a medical assessment.
- Take details of any witnesses to include name, address and contact numbers.
- Take photographs of the accident scene if possible.
- Seek expert legal advice upon your return home.
If you wish to discuss a potential claim or would like advice on any matter, please contact us for a consultation.