If you have been involved in a road traffic accident then there are certain steps that should be taken:
- Stop safely at the accident scene ensuring that your vehicle is not a danger to you or others
- If anyone is seriously injured contact the emergency services, including the Gardaí
- Do not move your vehicle until the Gardaí arrive unless it is a minor accident
- Exchange owner details (name and address), vehicle registration numbers and insurance details with the other driver(s)
- If there are witnesses, take full details to include home address and telephone numbers
- Take a photograph of the accident scene, the road conditions, any road signs, position of the vehicles, and damage
- If at all possible, draw a sketch of the accident and the position of the vehicles
- Note the street name or location, date and time
- Note the weather and road conditions
- Do not discuss the accident at the scene or admit liability for the accident
- If the Gardaí interview you at the scene simply explain the accident circumstances and furnish your personal and insurance details
- If the Gardai do not attend the scene you should report the accident to the Gardai in any event as soon as possible
- Always notify your own insurer of the accident as soon as practicable
- Contact a solicitor for advice as soon as practicable.
If you have been involved in a road traffic accident and wish to discuss a potential claim or would like advice on any matter, please Contact Us for a consultation.
*in contentious business a solicitor may not calculate fees or other charges as a percentage or proportion of any award of damages.